Saturday, July 30, 2016

Yard Sale Part 1

I decided to hold a yard sale this year. All I can think is what was I thinking?! Also, where did all of this crap come from?

Having moved multiple times in the past several years, 4 times in 4 years, we have accrued a lot of "stuff". With each move, I have tried to weed out by either throwing stuff out or donating, but for some reason it is like a pair of rabbits, and multiplies way faster than I can deal with. The sad thing is that half of our "stuff" is still in Oregon. If we ever get moved back up there I can tell you I will probably be holding another huge yard sale for clearing out all of junk up there.

With having 3 kids now, I am amazed at how much "stuff" they have. I know that my husband and I don't buy many toys for them, and if we do its little hot wheel cars. Small being key. And NOT noisy! The kids have so many toys that they don't even know what to do with all of it. I try to go through some of them when the kids go to bed, but its hard because by that time I'm usually ready for bed also! I have made a small pile of toys. My thinking is that I take out a couple of toys every few days, they won't notice anything missing at all. If you don't have kids, than you won't understand, but those little buggers KNOW what toys they have and will sometimes ask for a toy that broke or got thrown out over a year ago because they want to play with it RIGHT NOW! I play stupid. Seems to be working so far.

One thing I have found helpful with getting ready for this yard sale is that I have started early getting stuff cleaned out and organized and priced, like over a month ago started. That's half the battle right? The only crummy part is that I don't really have many friends and family around that could help me set up, but I'll just force my husband into slave labor...hehe! We have already gone through everything in the house that needed to be re-organized and cleaned out. Still amazed at the amount of stuff that I found we don't need or use anymore. This weekend we will try to tackle the shed and get it cleaned, because it needs it done and try to get rid of the stuff that we don't need or want anymore out of there. Not to mention evicting all of the spiders, scorpions, and cockroaches out of the shed. I just hope that I make enough money to make this endeavor worth my time and energy.

The ultimate goal of this whole yard sale thing is to make enough money to help pay off some debt. Mostly hospital bills from when L was born. Did you know they charge over $20 per pill of ibuprofen?! If I had known that I would have snuck in my own pills. Crazy stuff. I'm just glad I didn't actually have her at the hospital, otherwise the bills probably would have been 3x as high as they are now, even with insurance. The one bill I still haven't gotten is the ambulance ride. Hoping that I met our deductible with everything else that I won't have to pay. Wishful thinking right?!

Anyways, back to the yard sale. I will post updates after I have the darn thing. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment