Monday, February 29, 2016

Lil' Update

* Please click on an ad or two if you get a chance :) *

It has been pretty quiet around here the last couple of weeks. Mostly just trying to get the bedroom project up and finished before the baby is here.

We were finally able to go and get the materials last week and Hubby was able to get the insulation in the walls. It needed it for sure! No wonder the dang room never seemed to be a decent temperature. Still need to seal the windows a little when we are done. This weekend he started putting up the sheetrock! It's getting closer to completion with each step, sooooo excited!

Since I am getting bigger it is getting harder for me to help out, but I try and we also were able to get some rock for the front of the house and hopefully I can start working on that this week...slowly. Slow is about the only speed I go lately. Ha!

My diet is going well and I feel much better than I did. I've been learning more and more how to cook and eat "differently" than what I am used to and it is helping. No pain is a good thing and I feel like I have a little more energy. The downside to this new diet is that it can be kind of expensive. I've been looking at alternative ways to save a little money on some of the ingredients that I need for cooking. Bountiful Basket is still a great way to save money on the produce I need. And I have found that Amazon.com carries a wide variety at decent prices on some of the grains and specialty items that I have been using.

Cooking from scratch takes a lot of time, especially with a lot of these new recipes that I am not used to, but the end result is a lot more flavorful and healthy. Recently I made pita bread and hummus. The hummus turned out well and I have really been enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. My pita bread did not work out as well. It still is "eatable", but it didn't puff up like I thought it would. The directions that I found off of Pinterest didn't explain very well certain steps and so I figured out what I did/was doing wrong about halfway through. Oh well, live and learn. Next time hopefully it will turn out better so I can use it for sandwiches for myself.

I also attempted to try a recipe for sandwich bread (as another way of cutting cost in my grocery budget) and the first try it was a brick. The dog wouldn't even eat it, so I'm not sure what exactly I did wrong, but tried it again the following day and it worked perfectly. The boys really enjoyed the PBJ sandwich I made them, so it must be good! My least favorite part about slicing the bread is that I can never get even slices. Please tell me I'm not the only one that can't slice straight! I'll have to look into a bread slicer helper or something...haha!

Along with eating better, I have started weeding out things in the house that are really not that great for us, like dryer sheets. Made my own dryer sheets that work just as well and I don't have to worry about the nasty chemicals that are in the store bought ones. Not only are they healthier for us and the environment, but cheaper too! If you know me, you know that I like saving money! When I run out of laundry detergent I plan on trying to make my own. I have done this in the past, but with everything that has been going on since we bought the house, just haven't had the time or energy to try and mix up another batch. Found a different recipe on Pinterest that I plan on trying. The last one did work, and our clothes looked and smelled clean, so I will assume this one with as well.

Other than that, our days have been filled with Hubby going to work and coming home and playing with the boys and working on the bedroom and mine have been filled with baking, playing with the boys and cleaning. We live an extra exciting life around here. When we get the sheetrock done I will post more pictures and another update to the bedroom remodel.

No comments:

Post a Comment